Mr. Gibson is a principal in the law firm, with a practice focusing on business dispute litigation and business bankruptcy and reorganizations, as well as non-adversarial business matters, such as the formation of business entities, general business matters, contracts, and real estate transactions. For 30 years, Mr. Gibson has represented banks, private lenders, borrowers, developers, retail and manufacturing entities in a wide range of reorganizations and bankruptcies, both large and small, in many courts across the United States.
Mr. Gibson is a 1982 graduate of Capital University Law School, cum laude, and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Arizona in 1978. Mr. Gibson is a member of the State Bar of Arizona, the Pima County Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, and since 1996 has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America. Mr. Gibson is currently serving his third year of a three year terms as a Lawyer Representative for the District of Arizona to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference. Mr. Gibson is dedicated to providing legal services to those who cannot otherwise afford the cost and currently serves as Board President of Southern Arizona Legal Aid. Mr. Gibson has twice been honored as one of the top 50 “pro bono” Lawyers in the State of Arizona. He also has served a 15 year term on the Board of Managers of a local branch of the YMCA, a 6 year term on the Board of the Interfaith Coalition for the Homeless, and is a senior member of the Tucson Conquistadores, which is a 50 year sponsor of the PGA Tour that has raised $25 million for youth sports in Tucson.
Mr. Gibson is admitted to practice in all State and Federal Courts in Arizona and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Gibson has appeared in Federal and State Courts in California, Washington, Nevada, Colorado, Texas, Ohio, and Mississippi.
Bankruptcy and Reorganizations
- Represents Debtors and Lenders in all aspects of reorganization proceedings, including designing, prosecuting, implementing and contesting of reorganization plans, stay relief litigation, and the purchase and sale of assets of bankruptcy estates. Also represents individual Debtors and lenders in Chapter 7 and 13 cases as well as in non-dischargibility litigation
Foreclosures and Collections
- Represent Borrowers and lenders in the enforcement of debt obligations, notes and accounts. Represents Borrowers and lenders in the foreclosure of real estate interests, and the enforcement and defense of deficiency liabilities following foreclosure sales.
Landlord and Tenant
- Represents Landlords in the enforcement of Commercial and residential Leases and, where necessary, eviction proceedings.
- Regularly represents businesses and individuals in the formation and maintenance of business entities, including negotiations and drafting agreements relating to the creation of new entities, acquisitions, sales, real estate, real estate development, confidentiality and nondisclosure, memorandum of understandings and letters of intent, resolutions, and dissolution and termination.
Business Dispute Litigation
- Represented a host of business clients’ in a variety business disputes by and among partners, shareholders, vendors and customers involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and collection of accounts. Regularly involved in the negotiation and litigation of business break-up disputes.
- Mediates and arbitrates disputes by and between parties in commercial, corporate, real estate and other business matters.
Major Cases and Accomplishments
- Represented large homebuilder in reorganization to restructure of debt on land acquisition for $25mm
- Acted as local counsel for multi-national lender ($250mm) in reorganization of large RV dealer
- Traveled to multiple jurisdictions across U.S. to purchase senior housing assets for national asset manager
- Confirmed numerous complicated Chapter 11 cases
- Recently (March and April 2012) received appellate decisions in our client’s favor on issues of first impression nationally on application of the “absolute priority rule” and the ability to file “successive” Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented, Trustees, Committees, Lenders and Debtors in numerous Chapter 11, 13 and 7 cases.
- Serving the third year of a three year term as Lawyer Representative to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Judicial Conference
- Regular Speaker at seminars on conference on Bankruptcy, foreclosure and debt related issues.