Russell E. Krone attended the University of Arizona and the Berklee College of Music in Boston before completing his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration at the University of Phoenix in 1991. He received his Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the University of Arizona College of Law in 1994. In law school, Mr. Krone served as the Research & Development Editor on the editorial board of the Arizona Journal of International & Comparative Law. After passing the Arizona Bar in 1994, Mr. Krone became an associate attorney at a well established mid-sized Tucson law firm. He became a partner in that firm in 2002. Mr. Krone formed Thompson Krone, P.L.C. with Evan Thompson in 2004.
Mr. Krone’s practice focuses on the transactional and litigation needs of businesses, professionals and other individuals in the areas of commercial/business law, real property and land use law, medical law, alternative dispute resolution, and professional liability. He has acted as general counsel to public corporations and regularly represents businesses from start-ups to well established companies in a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, aviation, medical services, engineering, real estate development, software development and licensing, entertainment, trade shows and hospitality, bars and restaurants and construction.
Before attending law school, Mr. Krone was an entrepreneurial radio and television engineer who designed, constructed and maintained UHF television stations, sound recording studios and other related broadcasting installations. At the same time, Mr. Krone was involved in the development of electronic parts testing systems and the production of laser optical measuring devices. It was through these experiences that Mr. Krone developed a unique perspective for problem solving and his commitment to find business solutions to business problems whenever possible.
Mr. Krone helps his clients navigate the issues they face, attempting to avoid or resolve disputes before they lead to litigation. However, when litigation cannot be avoided, as an accomplished trial lawyer and a skillful negotiator who is dedicated to quality work, Mr. Krone provides cost-effective representation to achieve optimal result for his clients.
Mr. Krone is a member of the State Bar of Arizona and is admitted to practice in all the State and Federal Courts of Arizona, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
- Formation of limited liability companies, corporations and other business entities.
- Regularly represents businesses, professionals, and individuals in negotiating and drafting agreements relating to acquisitions, sales, real estate, real estate development, commercial property leasing, corporate housekeeping, compensation, confidentiality and nondisclosure, memorandum of understandings and letters of intent, strategic partnering, mergers, dissolution and termination, joint ventures, employment agreements, licensing, employee handbooks, vendor relations, shareholder and buy-sell agreements, medical laboratory ventures and commercial lending transactions.
- Jury award in favor of real estate developer with claims against engineering company for erroneously locating building under construction.
- Arbitration award in favor of boat owner with claims against bank and marine sales company for failing to deliver vessel free and clear of liens and encumbrances.
- Successfully defended architect against claims that his work fell below standards of care and caused delay in construction.
- Other representative litigation matters include business disputes by and among partners, vendors and competitors involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, interference with business and other unfair business practices; disputes between real estate developers and governmental agencies; disputes between commercial landlords and tenants for rents and other lease obligations; disputes between parties to development and construction agreements including construction defects and other professional liability;
- Acts as a mediator, arbitrator and umpire in disputes between parties in commercial, corporate, professional liability, insurance, real estate and construction matters.
- Goodman v. Physical Resources Engineering, Inc., 229 Ariz. 25, 270 P.3d 852 (App. 2011)
- PLM Tax Certificate Program 1991-1992, L.P. v. Denton Investments, Inc., 195 Ariz. 210, 986 P.2d 243 (App. 1999)
- Goodhue v. Catalina Mortgage Company, 76 Fed.Appx 781, 2003 WL 22017524 (C.A. 9 (Ariz.))
- Goodman v. City of Tucson, 2007 WL 5613515 (App. 2007)
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, University of Arizona College of Law
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, University of Phoenix
- Guitar and Audio Engineering Studies, Berklee College of Music, Boston Mass.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Mr. Krone has authored and presented materials at various legal education seminars and has been a featured speaker for educational and industry groups. His publications and presentations include portions of the following continuing legal education seminars:
- Getting Out: Basic Exit Strategies for Small Start-Ups, Business Lawyer, Business Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona (2013)
- Buying & Selling a Business: Mastering the Basics, Sterling Education Services, Inc., 2004; and
- The A to Z of Defending Registrar of Contractors Complaints, Pima County Bar Association, 2006
Among his other involvement in the community, Mr. Krone has served on the Board of Directors for Community Options, Inc.; the Board of Directors of Rebuilding Together; and the Board of Trustees of Green Fields Country Day School.
Mr. Krone has served as a Judge pro tempore on the Pima County Arizona Superior Court from 2011 through the present.
Mr. Krone also served as a Member of the Arizona State Bar Committee on Recommended Jury Instructions (civil).
Mr. Krone serves on a committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Arizona which edits articles submitted for publication in the Business Lawyer (2012).
Mr. Krone grew up in Tucson, Arizona. He enjoys all kinds of outdoor activities, photography, making music and spending time with his family.